|Buy 1 - 3||$55.49/Case|
Other Available Sizes:
- Delectably mild, nutty flavor
- Firm, creamy texture perfect for melting
- Pairs well with white, fruity wines like Riesling and Chardonnay, as well as brown or amber ales
- Perfect for creating a classic fondue or croque monsieur sandwich
- Ships refrigerated
- Shipping Weight
- 5.9 lb.
- Cheese Type
- Milk Type
- Package Size
- 7 oz.
- Perishable Type
- Refrigerated Foods
- Soft & Semi-Soft
- Total Case Size
- 5.3 lb.
Customer questions about this product
- What does this product's protected designation of origin mean?
- The European Union's Protected Designation of Origin (PDO) status indicates that every part of the production, processing, and preparation process of this product takes place in the geographical region from which it originates. In other European languages, this indication may be referred to by different names and acronyms, such as DOP (Denominazione di Origine Protetta) in Italian, AOP (Appellation d’Origine Protégée) in French, or DOC (Denominação de Origem Controlada) in Portuguese.
- When will my refrigerated or frozen food product be shipped?
- In order to control the amount of time in transit for these perishable items, they are only shipped on select days of the week based on which shipping method you choose and the transit time to your location.
Orders placed on or just prior to a holiday could experience a slight delay in shipping.
Frozen and refrigerated items cannot be shipped outside of the United States.
From countryside dotted with pastures and wildflower meadows in the Austrian Alps comes Gruyere, a true giant of the cheese world. This Austrian version of this Swiss classic offers everything you'd expect in an Alpine Gruyere: it is wonderfully nutty, slightly spicy, especially mild, yet full flavored! This cheese is made from the sweet milk of cows that graze on Alpine meadows and aged in an environment that mimics the cool, humid climate of the caves where the first Gruyere cheeses were matured centuries ago. At the end of this aging period, the cheese takes on a firm, springy texture that is perfect for melting!
Gruyere's well-earned reputation for being easy to melt makes it the preferred cheese for creating a classic cheese fondue. To serve this refined favorite in your establishment, toss 1 1/2 pounds of shredded Gruyere cheese with 1 1/2 tbsp. of cornstarch and set aside. Bring 1 2/3 cups of dry white wine to a boil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, then turn heat to medium-low and add the cheese mixture little by little, stirring after each addition until melted. Serve with crusty french bread, mild sausage, steamed vegetables, or other accoutrements for dipping! Gruyere's meltiness also makes it the perfect cheese for creating a classic croque monsieur sandwich or topping off a piping hot bowl of French onion soup.
In addition to its delightful meltiness, Gruyere also makes a fine table cheese. It's sure to be a favorite on any cheese plate or charcuterie board, especially because its mild flavor is an excellent complement for any number of flavors. Try serving it alongside fresh fruits like apples and pears, pecans, and even spicy mustard! When considering beverage pairings, opt for drinks whose flavor will balance the mildness of the cheese. Fruity wines like Riesling and Chardonnay are a perfect complement to this mild and nutty cheese, while beers like brown ales, amber ales, and Czech pilsners will add a crisp hint of caramel sweetness without overpowering the Gruyere. No matter how you choose to showcase its renowned flavor, this Austrian Gruyere cheese is sure to be a favorite among cheese lovers of all stripes!
Gruyere cheese can be traced back to the early 12th century, when it was produced in alpine caves around the area of La Gruyere, Switzerland. Though the production techniques have been modernized, Gruyere is still made according to ancient recipes and traditions that ensure quality and great taste, and this Austrian Alps Gruyere is certainly no exception. This artisanal alpine cheese is produced with the highest standards of quality using pure, fresh milk. In fact, one 80 pound wheel of this Gruyere cheese requires around 700 lbs. of milk to produce! Add this Austrian Alps Gruyere to your menu or deli to offer a classic flavor that is sure to delight your customers.
Because this item is not stocked in our warehouse, processing, transit times and stock availability will vary. If you need your items by a certain date, please contact us prior to placing your order. Expedited shipping availability may vary. We cannot guarantee that this item can be cancelled off of the order or returned once it is placed.
This item is shipped refrigerated. You will need to ensure this item is stored at 41 degrees Fahrenheit or cooler.
Resources and Downloads
A PDF viewer is required to view this product's information. Download Adobe Acrobat software
Leave a review of this product!
If you've used this product, log in and leave a review to tell us and other customers what you thought about it. Get paid up to $16 for submitting one of the first text, photo, or video reviews for this item. View your account for details.Login or Register