How to Make a Pumpkin Keg
Fall is the perfect season to get creative with your bar's tap list, and what better way to showcase your fall beer selection than with a pumpkin keg? A pumpkin keg is a fun and festive way to serve your favorite seasonal beverages, such as pumpkin beer or apple cider, while adding a touch of seasonal flair to your bar.
Pumpkin Beer Keg Video
Check out the video below to learn how to make your own pumpkin keg. We've also included a detailed walkthrough of the entire pumpkin keg process as a reference.
How to Make a Pumpkin Beer Keg
If you’re considering making a pumpkin keg of your own, we’ve created a comprehensive list of instructions to guide you from start to finish. Once your keg is complete, prepare to impress the guests at your Halloween or fall-themed party with your new pumpkin drink dispenser!
Pumpkin Keg Materials
Before you start making your pumpkin drink dispenser, gather the proper tools and products to do the job correctly. The materials you'll need to make a pumpkin keg include:
- One large pumpkin
- Your favorite fall beer or apple cider
- A sharp knife
- A spoon with a long handle
- A reusable beer tap
- A drill
Step-By-Step Pumpkin Keg Instructions
Once you've collected the necessary materials, it's time to begin. To successfully make your own pumpkin keg, follow these steps:
- Remove top: Cut a hole in the top of your pumpkin with a sharp knife and remove the top.
- Remove insides: Using a spoon, scoop out the inside of the pumpkin.
- Mark beer tap location: Trace a circle around your beer tap on the lower part of the pumpkin. It should be low enough that it can reach the dregs of your beer.
- Create beer tap hole: Drill a hole through the circle that you outlined.
- Thin pumpkin wall: On the inside of the pumpkin, scrape away some of the meat near the hole until the wall is slightly thinner, so your reusable beer tap can fit.
- Expand beer tap hole: Enlarge the hole until your beer tap fits snugly.
- Secure beer tap: Insert the tap into the hole and secure it on the inside of the pumpkin.
- Decorate the pumpkin: If you have an artistic friend or staff member, you can also carve a design into it. Just be sure not to go all the way through the pumpkin, or the beer will leak out.
- Fill the keg: Add your beer into the pumpkin, put the top back on, and start serving beer from your pumpkin keg.
Pumpkin Keg Drinks
Once the keg is complete, you'll need to decide what goes inside it. Below, we've included a list of what to fill a pumpkin keg with:
- Seasonal beers: Since your keg will likely add a slight pumpkin flavor to your drinks, we recommend filling it with one of your signature fall beers.
- Hard cider: If you’d prefer not to serve beer, consider filling your keg with hard cider. This popular alcoholic drink can be enjoyed year-round but is a perfect complement to other fall flavors on your menu.
Pumpkin Keg FAQ
If you've never made a pumpkin keg before or are looking for additional guidance, we've included a list of frequently asked questions below:
How to Use All Parts of a Pumpkin
To reduce clean-up time and ensure that nothing goes to waste, consider putting every part of your pumpkin to use. Below, we've listed some of the most popular ways to use discarded parts of the pumpkin:
- Pumpkin pulp: The insides of the pumpkin can be used as an ingredient in pumpkin pie, pumpkin butter, or even pumpkin dog treats.
- Pumpkin seeds: The seeds of a pumpkin can be added to trail mix or used as a salad topping. Additionally, the seeds can be roasted to create a delicious bar snack.
- Pumpkin flesh: Once you’ve peeled the skin off of your pumpkin, it can be boiled or even roasted. This part of the pumpkin is a key ingredient in dishes such as pumpkin soup and pumpkin puree.
Where to Buy a Spigot for a Pumpkin Keg
Reusable beer taps can be purchased from many different stores and websites. Typically made from plastic, these spigots can be inserted into your pumpkin and sealed from the other side, allowing you to dispense drinks from your pumpkin keg. Additionally, once you're finished with the keg, you can wash the spigot and save it for your next Halloween party.
Whether it’s the centerpiece of your Halloween party or just a unique decoration, a pumpkin keg can add some seasonal flair to your party. In addition to its unique look, a pumpkin keg will keep drinks cold and provide a slight pumpkin flavor, perfectly complementing your fall beers and hard ciders. If you’re looking for an interesting and fun decorative piece for your seasonally themed party, a pumpkin beer keg is a great option.