How to Make a Pumpkin Keg
The weather is getting colder and the leaves are starting to change color, which means that it's finally fall. And with the start of fall comes the annual pumpkin-mania. People have come up with some pretty unique ways to use pumpkins, but our favorite way to celebrate the season is with a pumpkin keg. Pumpkin kegs are the perfect decoration for your catered event or Halloween party. Why? Because it's a pumpkin full of beer. What's not to love? The thick walls of the pumpkin also act as insulation and help to keep your beer cold. Plus, the pumpkin does add a slight pumpkin flavor to your beer, so this keg is best used with your favorite seasonal beer or cider.
Instructions for Making a Pumpkin Keg
What You Need:
- Large pumpkin
- Your favorite fall beer or cider
- Sharp knife
- Spoon with a long handle
- Reusable beer tap
1. With a sharp knife, remove the top of your pumpkin.
2. Using a spoon, scoop out the inside of your pumpkin. Save the insides for your pumpkin pie and roast the seeds to make a delicious bar snack.
3. Trace a circle around your beer tap on the lower part of your pumpkin. It should be low enough that it can reach the dregs of your beer.
4. Drill a hole through the circle that you outlined.
5. On the inside of the pumpkin, scrape away some of the meat near the hole until the wall is slightly thinner, so the beer tap can fit.
6. Enlarge the hole until your beer tap fits snugly.
7. Insert the tap into the hole and secure it on the inside of the pumpkin.
8. Draw a face on the front of your pumpkin. If you have an artistic friend or staff member, you can also carve a face in the front, just be sure not to go all the way through the pumpkin.
9. Add your beer into the pumpkin, put the top back on, and start serving beer from your pumpkin keg. For our keg, we decided to use our favorite fall beer, Southern Tier's Pumking Imperial Ale because what's better to serve in a pumpkin than a pumpkin-spiced beer!
Whether it's the centerpiece of the Halloween party at your firehall or a unique decoration at your catered event, a pumpkin keg can add some seasonal flair to your party. In addition to looking cool, pumpkin kegs help keep your beer cold and give it a slightly pumpkin flavor, which is a perfect complement to the flavors of seasonal fall beers. If you're looking for an interesting and fun decorative piece for your party that offers a seasonal theme, a pumpkin keg is the ideal option.