How to Make a Pumpkin Keg
A pumpkin keg is a festive way to serve seasonal fall beers on Halloween, one of the busiest party nights of the year. Instead of decorating with jack o'lanterns, carve out a pumpkin beer keg to sit on your bar top and act as a conversation starter. You'll be able to draw more attention to your seasonal tap list because who wouldn't want to drink a pumpkin beer drawn straight from an actual pumpkin? Pumpkin kegs are also effective for serving and holding beer because they are naturally insulated.
Read below for instructions on how to make your own pumpkin keg, or check out the video!
How to Make a Pumpkin Beer Keg
Follow these instructions to make a pumpkin keg to dispense beer at your Halloween or fall-themed party.
What You Need:
- Large pumpkin
- Your favorite fall beer or cider
- Sharp knife
- Spoon with a long handle
- Reusable beer tap
- With a sharp knife, remove the top of your pumpkin.
- Using a spoon, scoop out the inside of your pumpkin. Save the insides for your pumpkin pie and roast the seeds to make a delicious bar snack.
- Trace a circle around your beer tap on the lower part of your pumpkin. It should be low enough that it can reach the dregs of your beer.
- Drill a hole through the circle that you outlined.
- On the inside of the pumpkin, scrape away some of the meat near the hole until the wall is slightly thinner, so the pumpkin tap can fit.
- Enlarge the hole until your beer tap fits snugly.
- Insert the tap into the hole and secure it on the inside of the pumpkin.
- Draw a face on the front of your pumpkin. If you have an artistic friend or staff member, you can also carve a face in the front, just be sure not to go all the way through the pumpkin.
- Add your beer into the pumpkin, put the top back on, and start serving beer from your pumpkin keg.
For our keg, we decided to use our favorite fall beer, Southern Tier's Pumking Imperial Ale because what's better to serve in a pumpkin than a pumpkin-spiced beer! Because a pumpkin beer keg does flavor your beer slightly, we recommend using fall seasonal beers or ciders that will complement the pumpkin flavor.
Whether it's the centerpiece of the Halloween party at your firehall or a unique decoration at your catered event, a pumpkin keg can add some seasonal flair to your party. In addition to looking cool, pumpkin kegs help keep your beer cold and give it a slightly pumpkin flavor, which is a perfect complement to fall beers and hard ciders. If you're looking for an interesting and fun decorative piece for your party that offers a seasonal theme, a pumpkin beer keg is the ideal option.