How to Make a Pumpkin Keg
A pumpkin keg is a festive way to serve seasonal fall beers on Halloween, one of the busiest party nights of the year. Instead of decorating with jack o’ lanterns, carve out a pumpkin beer keg to sit on your bar top! Not only can a pumpkin keg serve as a great conversation starter, but it helps draw more attention to your seasonal tap list. Pumpkins are naturally insulated, which makes them effective for serving and holding beer.
For instructions on how to make your own pumpkin keg, check out the video or keep reading below!
How to Make a Pumpkin Beer Keg
If you’re considering making a pumpkin keg, we’ve created a list of step-by-step instructions to guide you through the process. Once it’s finished, get ready to debut your new pumpkin drink dispenser at your Halloween or fall-themed party!
Pumpkin Keg Materials
- One large pumpkin
- Your favorite fall beer or cider
- A sharp knife
- A spoon with a long handle
- A reusable beer tap
- A drill
Step-By-Step Pumpkin Keg Instructions
- Cut a hole in the top of your pumpkin with a sharp knife and remove the top.
- Using a spoon, scoop out the inside of the pumpkin.
- Trace a circle around your beer tap on the lower part of the pumpkin. It should be low enough that it can reach the dregs of your beer.
- Drill a hole through the circle that you outlined.
- On the inside of the pumpkin, scrape away some of the meat near the hole until the wall is slightly thinner, so your reusable beer tap can fit.
- Enlarge the hole until your beer tap fits snugly.
- Insert the tap into the hole and secure it on the inside of the pumpkin.
- Decorate your pumpkin. If you have an artistic friend or staff member, you can also carve a design into it. Just be sure not to go all the way through the pumpkin, or the beer will leak out.
- Add your beer into the pumpkin, put the top back on, and start serving beer from your pumpkin keg.
To make sure nothing goes to waste, consider putting every part of your pumpkin to use. For example, once you've scooped out the inside of the pumpkin, it can be used to make a pumpkin pie. Additionally, the seeds can be roasted to make delicious bar snacks.
Once you've finished making your pumpkin, it's time to decide what drinks you want to fill it with. Since the inside of your keg will leave a slight pumpkin flavor in your beer, we recommend complementing it with fall seasonal beers.
If you're not a fan of beer, one fall drink to consider adding is hard cider. This popular alcoholic beverage bares many similarities to apple cider, but unlike its counterpart, hard cider goes through a fermenting process which results in it becoming an alcoholic drink.
Whether it’s the centerpiece of your Halloween party or just a unique decoration, a pumpkin keg can add some seasonal flair to your party. In addition to its unique look, a pumpkin keg will keep drinks cold and provide a slight pumpkin flavor, perfectly complementing your fall beers and hard ciders. If you’re looking for an interesting and fun decorative piece for your seasonally-themed party, a pumpkin beer keg is a great option.