Bourbon-Marinated Peach Galette Recipe: WebstaurantEats Recipes
A galette is similar to a fruit pie except it uses a free-form crust that is rolled out instead of baked in a pie tin. To form the galette, roll out the dough, pile the fillings in the center, and fold in the edges of the crust. The shape of the dough will form a rough oval or circle shape but doesn't have to be perfect, which is part of the rustic charm of the galette.
Fruit galettes are a great way to use up abundant seasonal produce. Try our recipe for a peach galette that combines bourbon and brown sugar with the spicy, sweet flavor of candied ginger.
Bourbon-Marinated Peach and Candied Ginger Galette Recipe
Recipe by: Ronne Day (WebstaurantStore Food Stylist)
Serves: 6 - 8
Total Time: 90 minutes
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 3 Tbsp. dark brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. sherry vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. hazelnut or walnut oil
- 1/2 tsp. ground cardamom
- Kosher salt
- 2 - 3 ripe peaches, sliced into 1/3” slices
- 1 tsp. roughly chopped thyme leaves, small sprigs or leaves for garnish (optional)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 store-bought pie crust
- 1 Tbsp. chopped candied ginger
- Sanding sugar
- 2 Tbsp. melted browned butter
- In a small saucepan, combine the bourbon, brown sugar, vinegar, oil, cardamom, and 1/2 tsp. salt.
- Heat the mixture over medium-low heat until the sugar and salt dissolve.
- Transfer to a large bowl, allow to cool to room temperature, and toss with the peach slices and chopped thyme.
- Marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes or up to two hours in the refrigerator, tossing occasionally.
- If refrigerating, bring back to room temperature before assembling the tart.
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine the egg with 2 tsp. water.
- Place a piece of parchment on your work surface. Roll the dough out until approximately 13” in diameter.
- Take the peaches out of the marinade and pat dry.
- Transfer the peaches to the center of the dough, leaving about a 2” border. Sprinkle with the chopped ginger.
- Fold the sides of the dough in, pressing at the seams, and gently brush the top of the crust with the egg wash.
- Sprinkle with the sanding sugar and bake for 15 minutes. Then rotate and bake for another 15 minutes. Lastly place a pie guard on the crust and continue baking for another 15 - 20 minutes until the center is bubbling.
- Remove from the oven. Drizzle with the melted butter and sprinkle with some sanding sugar.
- Cool on a rack for at least 10 minutes.
- Garnish with thyme leaves if desired, and serve warm or at room temperature.
Fill your kitchen with the warm scent of sugary bourbon and cardamom with this rustic peach galette. You can find more recipes like this one on the WebstaurantStore Instagram.