By Emily Gertenbach
Much of America is going crazy over cupcakes.
Once considered a staple of children's parties and bake sales, cupcakes are now taking the country's bakeries by storm. The sweet treat is having a renaissance - reborn as an artistic and even gourmet dessert item, cupcakes have developed a cult following thanks to books, blogs, and TV shows like Food Network's "Cupcake Wars" and TLC's "DC Cupcakes." Cupcakes are now an everyday treat, a special-occasion treat, a birthday treat, and have even begun to replace traditional wedding cakes!
Gone are the days of a cupcake simply topped with a swipe of frosting and sprinkles. Cupcake toppers made of gold leaf, edible logos printed on fondant, and miniature sculptures featuring everything from sugar strawberries to knitting needles are popping up atop cupcakes from coast to coast. Even the interior of cupcakes has gotten an overhaul, with creative flavor combinations such as peanut butter and jelly, chocolate banana, and maple bacon. You can even host a cupcake cocktail hour featuring sweet treats flavored like favorite drinks such as margaritas, mudslides and vodka pineapple! Cupcakes come in all sizes, too - check out these teeny tiny "micro cupcakes"!
Taking the Cake
Whether you are a novice baker looking to experiment at home or an established professional baker wishing to expand a cupcake selection, The WEBstaurant Store has all the supplies you need to take your cupcakes to the next level in our new Cupcake Supplies section! Your bakery will be ready to debut an array of cupcakes with our cake mixes, cupcake pans, decorative toppings, beautiful cupcake wrappers, and a wide selection of bakery cases. We've got all the tools you need to create any cupcake, from traditional to unique to wedding tiers - and every cupcake in between!
No matter how creative cupcake bakers get, classic red velvet cupcakes remain a popular favorite with bakery patrons everywhere. Try making your own version of this popular cupcake flavor with a simple recipe and top-quality supplies from The WEBstaurant Store!Red Velvet Cupcakes
Makes 30 cupcakes
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- Red food coloring, approximately one ounce if liquid - add gradually to reach desired shade
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 16 ounces confectioners' sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit while you mix the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
2. Beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed for about 5 minutes until it is light and fluffy. Beat in each egg, one at a time, then mix in sour cream, milk, and vanilla. Slowly add the red food coloring a little at a time while mixing until you reach your ideal shade of red. Feel free to use more if you still aren't satisfied! Gradually add the flour mixture while beating on low speed until just blended. Spoon the batter into 30 lined cups in a muffin pan filling each one about 2/3 of the way full.
3. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into cupcake comes out clean. Cool the pans on a rack for five minutes before removing the cupcakes - then allow them to cool completely before frosting!
4. Make vanilla cream cheese frosting by beating softened cream cheese, butter, sour cream and vanilla in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth.
As a finishing touch, place each cupcake in a specialty baking cup to add extra pizzazz to your presentation! Try topping your cupcakes with sweet sugars, fondant decorations or even a favorite small toy - perfect for birthdays!