Although cupcakes are a timeless treat, welcoming summer with these Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes will add a spring into anyone’s step. The familiar classic flavor of strawberry shortcake has been re-invented into a scrumptious hand-held delicacy that will charm everyone at your next catered event or bake sale. While perfect for a child's birthday party, they are also delicate enough to serve at a bridal shower or baby shower. This recipe takes 25 minutes of prep time and 24 minutes of actual cooking time. Not bad for these darling desserts!
- 1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp each baking powder and baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1 quart strawberries, hulled, thickly sliced
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups cold heavy cream
- 3 Tbsp confectioners' sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 12 standard muffin cups with baking cups. In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a large bowl with mixer on medium, beat butter and sugar until light and creamy. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, then continue to beat on medium until batter is thick and smooth.
2. Spoon batter into a plastic zip lock bag. Snip a 1/2-inch corner from the bag and fill the liners slightly less than two thirds full. Bake 24 to 26 minutes, or until lightly golden and a pick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes; remove cupcakes from pan and cool completely.
3. Toss strawberries in a bowl with sugar and lemon juice until very syrupy. In a large bowl, beat cream, confectioners’ sugar, and vanilla until soft peaks form.
4. Use a skewer to poke several holes into top of each cupcake. Spoon some syrup from bowl over top, allowing it to absorb into cupcakes. Top with sliced berries and a dollop of cream. Arrange a few sliced berries in cream and drizzle with remaining strawberry syrup.*Best if topping is applied to cupcake right before service.
From classic and elegant to irresistible and fun, these stunning cupcakes definitely convey the message that something worth celebrating is transpiring! Make everyone smile this summer by giving this enchanting recipe a try!